Each year, tens of thousands of people are injured or lose their lives in a truck accident. Large trucks can weigh as much as 80,000 pounds. Smaller vehicles travelling on the same roads are no match for these big rigs. When a passenger vehicle is involved in a collision with one of these massive vehicles, they tend to take the brunt of the impact and victims typically sustain catastrophic injuries or fatalities.
Unfortunately, with the busy highways existing in Delaware including I-95, I-895 and I-495, motorists driving in this state are not immune from these types of serious accidents. The truck accident law firm of Edelstein Martin & Nelson, LLP in Delaware has witnessed first-hand the devastation that victims of truck accidents have to endure.
Some of the more common injuries sustained in trucking accidents include:
- Amputations: The loss of a limb is catastrophic and forever changes a person’s life. Months of rehabilitation and the need for prosthetic devices are often required as part of the recovery process. The victim’s ability to perform their job or other daily activities can be affected.
- Bone Fractures: Broken bones are some of the most common injuries suffered in truck accidents. Often times, victims will suffer multiple fractures to the arms, wrists, legs, ankles, ribs and face requiring surgeries, casts, traction, physical therapy and long rehabilitative periods. Some fractures may never heal properly leaving victims with permanent limitations.
- Burns: Burn injuries can occur when a fuel tank explodes or when a fire arises as a result of hazardous materials, dangerous chemicals or other flammable cargo being transported on the truck. Individuals who sustain a burn injury often require multiple surgical procedures in an attempt to repair or reconstruct any damage. Many victims will suffer permanent scarring or disfigurement.
- Brain Injuries: Although there is a wide spectrum of head injuries ranging from concussions to traumatic brain injuries, the injuries sustained in a trucking accident tend to be more serious and life threatening in nature. Brain injury victims are often left with decreased physical and cognitive function.
- Internal Injuries: Blunt trauma sustained in a truck accident can cause serious injuries to the internal organs resulting in massive internal bleeding, organ damage and even death. Some of the more common internal organs that can be damaged include the liver, spleen, kidneys, bladder and pancreas.
- Neck and Back Injuries: The muscles, ligaments, discs and nerves of the neck and back can all be affected when a truck collision occurs. An individual’s neck can suddenly snap during the impact of an accident causing whiplash, sprains, strains or spinal cord damage. Back injuries such as herniated discs can become chronic and debilitating making simple tasks such as sitting and standing extremely difficult.
- Paralysis: The loss of mobility or strength in different areas of the body can occur when there is damage to the spinal cord. Paralysis can be temporary or permanent. Those with a more serious form of paralysis will need lifelong assistance with their basic daily needs. Different types of paralysis include quadriplegia, paraplegia, tetraplegia and hemiplegia.
- Spinal Cord Injuries: These are among some of the most severe injuries that truck accident victims can endure. The force of impact in a truck accident can crush or sever the spinal cord causing permanent physical damage. Victims are often left with varying degrees of motor skill deficiencies requiring lifelong care.
- Death: Sometimes the injuries incurred in a truck accident are so severe that the victim does not survive. Family members of the deceased may file a wrongful death claim against the responsible parties on behalf of their loved one to recover compensation for their losses.
If you or loved one suffered injuries in a trucking accident, the best means to ensure you obtain the maximum recovery is to hire an experienced truck accident lawyer.
Edelstein Martin & Nelson, LLP: Personal Injury Law Firm in Delaware Representing Victims Injured in a Truck Accident
We have represented countless clients who have sustained injuries in all types of trucking accidents along the interstates and roadways in Delaware and Pennsylvania. We understand this is an extremely stressful time, full of worry and uncertainty about the future. We want to help. While you focus on your recovery, we will work tirelessly to hold all the parties responsible for your injuries accountable for their negligence. Call the personal injury law firm of Edelstein Martin & Nelson, LLP today at (302)-295-5050 or toll free at (800) 300-0909 to schedule a free consultation with an experienced, knowledgeable Delaware truck accident attorney or submit an online inquiry.